Is Kyrie Irving Planning to Leave the Celtics?
The Boston Celtics are worried that Kyrie Irving will leave instead of resign with them. Should the Celtics be worried?
Shortstop might be the most active position in the infield other than first base. Shortstops usually have to field ground balls very often. They also have to cover second base most of the time when runners try to steal bases. The shortstop position usually turns double plays a lot of the time. Who are the Top 10 shortstops heading into the 2019 season?
10. Tim Anderson (CWS): Anderson is only 25 years old and he could potentially take his game to another level this season. Tim Anderson is very fast and he has also has some pop in his bat. His batting average last season was .240 with 20 home runs and 64 RBI's, along with 26 stolen bases. Anderson's on-base percentage was .281.
9. Jean Segura (PHI): Segura was really good for the Seattle Mariners in 2018. He was good at hitting for contract and Jean Segura is also very fast. He was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies in the offseason. This was a very good move for this team. His batting average last season was .304 with 10 home runs and 63 RBI's, along with 20 stolen bases. Segura's on-base percentage was .341.
8. Trea Turner (WSH): Turner will probably be the second best player on the Washington Nationals if Bryce Harper leaves. Trea Turner is a fundamentally sound shortstop. He is also an excellent base runner. His batting average last season was .271 with 19 home runs and 73 RBI's, along with 43 stolen bases. Turner's on-base percentage was .344.
7. Gleyber Torres (NYY): Torres played most of his games at second base last season, but he will probably start the 2019 season as the New York Yankees shortstop because an injury to Didi Gregorius. Gleyber Torres was one of the favorites to win the AL Rookie of the Year Award last season, but Los Angeles Angels outfielder/pitcher Shohei Ohtani won that ward. Torres was in the minors league to start the 2018 season, but he made his presence known immediately. Gleyber Torres's batting average last season was .271 with 24 home runs and 77 RBI's, along with six stolen bases. His on-base percentage was .340.
6. Didi Gregorius (NYY): Gregorius was very impressive for the New York Yankees in 2018, but he will start the 2019 season most likely on the disabled list. Didi Gregorius is one of the most underrated players in the game. He will most likely be the starting shortstop when he returns from injury. Gleyber Torres will probably start in his place in the mean. Gregorius's batting average last season was .268 with 27 home runs and 86 RBI's, along with 10 stolen bases. His on-base percentage was .335.
5. Jurickson Profar (TEX): Profar played for the Texas Rangers last season. He is only 25 years old and Jurickson Profar is now with the Oakland Athletics. Profar will be a solid shortstop for them. He had the best year of his career last season with Texas. His batting average was .254 with 20 home runs and 77 RBI's, along with 10 stolen bases. Jurickson Profar's on-base percentage last season was .335.
4. Francisco Lindor (CLE): Lindor is probably the second best player on the Cleveland Indians. He has a ton of range at shortstop. Francisco Lindor is also very good at the plate. His batting average last season was .277 with 38 home runs and 92 RBI's, along with 25 stolen bases. Lindor's on-base percentage was .352.
3. Xander Bogaerts (BOS): Bogaerts is one of the most underrated players on the Boston Red Sox. He hits for contact really well. His batting average last season was .288 with 23 home runs and 103 RBI's, along with eight stolen bases. Xander Bogaerts's on-base percentage was .360.
2. Trevor Story (COL): Story continues to be a Story for the Colorado Rockies offense. He is very good offensively and that is one of the reasons why Colorado made it to the playoffs last season. His defense is very good. Trevor Story's batting average last season was .291 with 37 home runs and 108 RBI's, along with 27 stolen bases. His on-base percentage was .348.
1. Manny Machado (UFA): Machado is currently a free agent and he is looking for a team to sign with. The Chicago White Sox, the Philadelphia Phillies, the San Diego Padres, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the New York Yankees are in the mix to sign him. He is the best shortstop in the game and Manny Machado moved to shortstop from third base last season. He started the season with the Baltimore Orioles and Machado was then traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers before the trade deadline. He went to the World Series with Los Angeles, but they lost in five games to the Boston Red Sox. Manny Machado is terrific in the field as well. His batting average last season was .297 with 37 home runs and 107 RBI's, along with 14 stolen bases. Machado's on-base percentage was .367.