Is Kyrie Irving Planning to Leave the Celtics?
The Boston Celtics are worried that Kyrie Irving will leave instead of resign with them. Should the Celtics be worried?
The designated hitter position in baseball is where a hitter bats for the pitcher at all times. Only the American League has the DH position and not the National League. There has been a discussion for sometime whether or not the position should be banned.
National League teams does use that position only when they play at American League ball parks. Who are the Top 10 designated hitters heading into the 2019 season?
10. Kendrys Morales (TOR): Morales has always been a source of power for teams no matter where he goes. Toronto is very good offensively. Kendrys Morales's batting average last season was .219 with 21 home runs and 57 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. His on-base percentage was .331.
9. C.J. Cron (TB): Cron had the best year of his career last season. He was one of the reasons why the Tampa Bay Rays won 90 games in 2018. C.J. Cron will need to be very good again this season. His batting average last season was .253 with 30 home runs and 74 RBI's, along with one stolen base. Cron's on-base percentage was .323.
8. Carlos Santana (CLE): Santana played for the Philadelphia Phillies last season and he is back with the Cleveland Indians. Carlos Santana played first base for most of last season. Now that he is back in the American League, Santana will probably be the designated hitter for Cleveland in 2019. His batting average with the Philadelphia last season was .229 with 24 home runs and 86 RBI's, along with two stolen bases. Carlos Santana's on-base percentage was .352.
7. Yonder Alonso (CWS): Alonso played for the Cleveland Indians last season at first base. He will probably be the designated hitter for the Chicago White Sox this season because of Jose Abreu playing first base. Peter Alonso's batting average last season with Cleveland was .250 with 23 home runs and 83 RBI's. His on-base percentage was .317.
6. Shoehi Ohtani (LAA): Ohtani played the outfield and pitched last season. Because of his recent surgery, he may not be able to play the field in 2019 but Shoehi Ohtani will be able to swing the bat. His batting average last season was .285 with 22 home runs and 61 RBI's, along with 10 stolen bases. Ohtani's on-base percentage was .361.
5. Nelson Cruz (MIN): Cruz played with the Seattle Mariners last season. He was one of the reasons why Seattle finished with a over .500 record. Nelson Cruz will be a big addition to the Minnesota Twins lineup in 2019. His batting average last season with Seattle was .256 with 37 home runs and 97 RBI's, along with one stolen base. Cruz's on-base percentage was .342.
4. Edwin Encarnacion (SEA): Encarnacion played with the Cleveland Indians last season and he was traded to the Seattle Mariners in the offseason. Edwin Encarnacion has been one of the best hitters in baseball over the past several years. His batting average last season with Cleveland was .246 with 32 home runs and 107 RBI's, along with three stolen bases. Encarnacion's on-base percentage was .336.
3. Giancarlo Stanton (NYY): Stanton struggled to start the 2018 season with the New York Yankees after he was traded from the Miami Marlins, but Giancarlo Stanton finally settled in. His batting average was .266 with 38 home runs and 100 RBI's, along with five stolen bases. Stanton's on-base percentage was .343. He won the NL MVP in 2017 with Miami.
2. Khris Davis (OAK): Davis has hit over 40 home runs and 100 RBI's the past three years. In 2018 with the Oakland Athletics, his batting average was .247 with 48 home runs and 123 RBI's. Khris Davis's on-base percentage was .326. He will have to be good once again in order for Oakland to get back to the postseason. Davis is one of the most underrated players in baseball and he could have very well been an MVP Candidate for the American League last season.
1. J.D. Martinez (BOS): Martinez was a monster for the Boston Red Sox last season. He could have won the AL MVP, but his teammate Mookie Betts did. J.D. Martinez was the best signing for any team last offseason and he will be around for a few more years. His batting average was .330 with 43 home runs and 130 RBI's, along with six stolen bases. Martinez's on-base percentage was .402. Boston won the World Series last season and J.D. Martinez will need to be sensational again if they want to win back-to-back titles.